Poll- Bulletproof or B&W hitch (2024)

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #1

A

aryaagahi

Tremor Fiend
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
251
Reaction Points
303
Location
Washington
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Lariat Sport 7.3 Iconic Silver

not sure which to choose.

Bulletproof 8" heavy duty - only has double ball, cannot be stowed, but does have compatible pintle attachment
OR
B&W 7" - tri-ball, can be stowed, but no pintle attachment

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #2

Mountain Man

Tremor Fiend

TOTM Winner

Joined
Mar 1, 2020
Messages
322
Reaction Points
674
Location
Santa Cruz Mountains
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor

I recommend the B&W tri ball, 3" shank, 5 1/2" drop. On a stock Tremor I tow a 20' enclosed trailer, 16' flatbed trailer, horse trailer, and a pontoon boat just fine with this drop. The 7 1/2" drop will drag all the time on driveways, gas station exits, etc.

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #3

2020Tremor

Tremor Addict

Founding Member

Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Messages
1,386
Reaction Points
2,522
Location
MT
Current Ride
2020 Tremor
Current Ride #2
1989 Bronco II

Depends on what you are towing. If you have the 2.5” hitch than the B&W is only rated for 14.5K and 1450 tongue weight on 2 5/16 ball. Which is a little less than the receiver on the truck us rated for. Bullitt proof is a massive 22K and 3K tongue In 2.5” and available in heavier duty yet. If you need the pintle I would lean Bullitt proof. I have the B & W 7” dual ball since ratings are high enough to cover my trailers and only have to run 1 lock to secure the major components. To be honest don’t use the stow part sine it does hang down quite a bit. I remove it out on the trails. Wish the 5” would cover me but have 2 trailers that need the 7”.

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #4

Bill

Tremoraholic

Founding Member

Joined
Jun 17, 2020
Messages
615
Reaction Points
2,422
Location
On the road full time
Current Ride
2020 F-250 6.7L Tremor
Current Ride #2
2022 Airstream Globetrotter 25FB

I have the B&W 3”, tri ball, with The 7” drop. I’ve got a trailer that requires the extra drop, but it hasn’t been an issue for me. I’ll remove it if I go off-road and worry about ground clearance.

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #5

PapaRaptor

Tremor Maniac
Joined
Jan 22, 2020
Messages
4,772
Reaction Points
12,519
Location
Wisconsin
Current Ride
6.7 F350 Tremor "Velocity" Blue Lariat Sport
Current Ride #2
7.3 F350 Iconic silver THE SILVER FOX

I use a pintle hitch for my skid steer trailer, and having a non adjustable pintle is a pain in the ass depending on what attachments I bring on the loader the placement of the machine on the trailer changes the height of the ramps. so having an option to lower or raise the pintle is huge.

OP

OP

A

aryaagahi

Tremor Fiend
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
251
Reaction Points
303
Location
Washington
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Lariat Sport 7.3 Iconic Silver

Mountain Man said:

I recommend the B&W tri ball, 3" shank, 5 1/2" drop. On a stock Tremor I tow a 20' enclosed trailer, 16' flatbed trailer, horse trailer, and a pontoon boat just fine with this drop. The 7 1/2" drop will drag all the time on driveways, gas station exits, etc.

what about campers and such, i will want to buy one soon and will i need a 7" drop for it?
does the extra 1.5" make that much difference with hitting?

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #7

OP

OP

A

aryaagahi

Tremor Fiend
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
251
Reaction Points
303
Location
Washington
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Lariat Sport 7.3 Iconic Silver

2020Tremor said:

Depends on what you are towing. If you have the 2.5” hitch than the B&W is only rated for 14.5K and 1450 tongue weight on 2 5/16 ball. Which is a little less than the receiver on the truck us rated for. Bullitt proof is a massive 22K and 3K tongue In 2.5” and available in heavier duty yet. If you need the pintle I would lean Bullitt proof. I have the B & W 7” dual ball since ratings are high enough to cover my trailers and only have to run 1 lock to secure the major components. To be honest don’t use the stow part sine it does hang down quite a bit. I remove it out on the trails. Wish the 5” would cover me but have 2 trailers that need the 7”.

im trying to decide, i really will only need to pull atv trailers and a small camper one day, not sure if i should get the 2 or 3 ball or 5.5" or 7" drop, i like the stow away aspect of the b&W but not sure which ball option and drop to use

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #8

2020Tremor

Tremor Addict

Founding Member

Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Messages
1,386
Reaction Points
2,522
Location
MT
Current Ride
2020 Tremor
Current Ride #2
1989 Bronco II

aryaagahi said:

im trying to decide, i really will only need to pull atv trailers and a small camper one day, not sure if i should get the 2 or 3 ball or 5.5" or 7" drop, i like the stow away aspect of the b&W but not sure which ball option and drop to use

For most campers won’t need a 7” drop unless a low profile model. The 7” is more for my 8’ PJ dump or my 14’ High Country AL ATV trailer.

Poll- Bulletproof or B&W hitch (9)

My boat doesn’t need the 7” Drop either. There is about 13” of clearance to the bottom of the main shank for stow or higher hitch heights empty

Poll- Bulletproof or B&W hitch (10)

There is about 11” to the bottom ball when empty.

Poll- Bulletproof or B&W hitch (11)

Seeing a little over 2” swat with a approx 1200 LB tongue weight. I skipped the 1 7/8” ball since don’t tow anything that small with the truck. I do recommend a adjustable hitch if pulling different trailers. Earlier this week had hitch set at full drop and pulled my buddies Malibu out, should have adjusted the hitch up but was just pulling from ramp to campsite.

Poll- Bulletproof or B&W hitch (12)

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #9

IceSoldier88

Tremoraholic
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
503
Reaction Points
617
Location
North Central NY
Military
Army
Current Ride
Velocity Blue F350 Diesel with Sport & Ultimate package
Current Ride #2
20 Explorer / 18 Indian Chieftain Limited / 19 Can-Am Defender XMR
First Responder
Volunteer Firefighter

I have a 350 Diesel. I just connected up my 19 Furty 2910 Toy Hauler. While i was trying to figure out how to adjust my Blue Ox hitch height (was set for F150), i meassured a 4" drop when the trailer was connected without any weight distribution bars connected.

Im also looking for a new hitch. I want one that is 3" extended, probably 5-7" drop. But currently leaning towards Bullet Proof. The 3 im currently looking at is Bullet Proof, B&W, Weight hitch.

Trying to decide between the 6 or 8 inch drop.

Last edited:

  • Aug 28, 2020
  • #10

OP

OP

A

aryaagahi

Tremor Fiend
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
251
Reaction Points
303
Location
Washington
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Lariat Sport 7.3 Iconic Silver

IceSoldier88 said:

I have a 350 Diesel. I just connected up my 19 Furty 2910 Toy Hauler. While i was trying to figure out how to adjust my Blue Ox hitch height (was set for F150), i meassured a 4" drop when the trailer was connected without any weight distribution bars connected.

Im also looking for a new hitch. I want one that is 3" extended, probably 5-7" drop. But currently leaning towards Bullet Proof. The 3 im currently looking at is Bullet Proof, B&W, Weight hitch.

Trying to decide between the 6 or 8 inch drop.

ya same, i am either going to go with B&W 7" or Weigh safe new black steel single ball 6"(comes with another ball also)
i feel like weigh safe looks good, the scale is nice and is the best of both worlds between 5-7 (6" drop) and now they have the black steel version

  • Aug 29, 2020
  • #11

CountryTremor

Tremor Fanatic
Joined
Aug 3, 2020
Messages
108
Reaction Points
395
Location
UPSTATE NY
Military
Retired U.S. Army
Current Ride
F250 7.3L Lariat Sport / Ultimate / Tremor Package - Rapid Red
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Explorer XLT Ruby Red

I just purchased this 8” bulletproof hitch. My tremor was ordered July 29th so I’ll be waiting to install it. What I can share is that this hitch is a beast. The shipping weight was 75 pounds. I probably won’t be doing any rock crawling so I should be fine with the height. The hitch is for pulling a 33’ travel trailer. They don’t give these hitches away!$!

Attachments

  • 4D32E88C-A1E0-42C4-8942-56DF3621B05E.jpeg

    341.6 KB· Views: 283

  • CBDAFA22-1200-4F30-8158-C1696457DE8A.jpeg

    515.1 KB· Views: 282

  • Aug 29, 2020
  • #12

OP

OP

A

aryaagahi

Tremor Fiend
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
251
Reaction Points
303
Location
Washington
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Lariat Sport 7.3 Iconic Silver

CountryTremor said:

I just purchased this 8” bulletproof hitch. My tremor was ordered July 29th so I’ll be waiting to install it. What I can share is that this hitch is a beast. The shipping weight was 75 pounds. I probably won’t be doing any rock crawling so I should be fine with the height. The hitch is for pulling a 33’ travel trailer. They don’t give these hitches away!$!

beast hitch!
i won't be pulling any trailer larger than 20'

  • Aug 29, 2020
  • #13

IceSoldier88

Tremoraholic
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
503
Reaction Points
617
Location
North Central NY
Military
Army
Current Ride
Velocity Blue F350 Diesel with Sport & Ultimate package
Current Ride #2
20 Explorer / 18 Indian Chieftain Limited / 19 Can-Am Defender XMR
First Responder
Volunteer Firefighter

@aryaagahi I like the concept of the weigh safe. But i asked myself am i really going to look at the guage on it. LOL

@CountryTremor you say your pulling a travel trailer. So are you not going to use WDH or Sway control? I ask because thats one of the things im looking at for my hitch purchase.

  • Aug 29, 2020
  • #14

CountryTremor

Tremor Fanatic
Joined
Aug 3, 2020
Messages
108
Reaction Points
395
Location
UPSTATE NY
Military
Retired U.S. Army
Current Ride
F250 7.3L Lariat Sport / Ultimate / Tremor Package - Rapid Red
Current Ride #2
2019 Ford Explorer XLT Ruby Red

IceSoldier88 said:

@aryaagahi I like the concept of the weigh safe. But i asked myself am i really going to look at the guage on it. LOL

@CountryTremor you say your pulling a travel trailer. So are you not going to use WDH or Sway control? I ask because thats one of the things im looking at for my hitch purchase.

Sway control. I purchased the additional sway control ball mount too.

  • Aug 29, 2020
  • #15

Leftinkslayer

Tremor Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction Points
19
Location
Tampa Florida
Current Ride
2020 Ford tremor
Current Ride #2
1977 el Camino

Gen y, 6 inch drop, 32k torsion hitch. My personal favorite.

You must log in or register to reply here.

Poll- Bulletproof or B&W hitch (2024)

References

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Ouida Strosin DO

Last Updated:

Views: 5788

Rating: 4.6 / 5 (56 voted)

Reviews: 95% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Ouida Strosin DO

Birthday: 1995-04-27

Address: Suite 927 930 Kilback Radial, Candidaville, TN 87795

Phone: +8561498978366

Job: Legacy Manufacturing Specialist

Hobby: Singing, Mountain biking, Water sports, Water sports, Taxidermy, Polo, Pet

Introduction: My name is Ouida Strosin DO, I am a precious, combative, spotless, modern, spotless, beautiful, precious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.